Earlier this year, VPI Pet Insurance was in the news when they awarded a Lab named Ellie the 2010 the ‘VPI Hambone Award’ for having the most unusual health insurance claim of the year: Ellie ate an entire beehive of bees!  Luckily Ellie consumed the beehive after an exterminator had sprayed it; however, she still consumed thousands of dead bees (and we’re happy to report, she’s doing just fine).

 

And now VPI brings us 2010’s most unusual ingested objects by pets. They say “pets,” but we’ve got a sneaky suspicion they are referring to dogs!  VPI received nearly 2,000 foreign body ingestion claims this past year and policyholders spent almost $3M treating their pets for such claims. And the good news, all pets that ingested the crazy, and in most cases very unappetizing, items made full recoveries!

 

Among common items that pets consume, such as socks, hand towels, sticks, and rocks, the items listed below are particularly noteworthy. Let this incredible list of not-so-tasty snacks serve as a reminder that many dogs, maybe yours, will eat just about anything so be aware!

 

2010’s Most Unusual Ingested Objects by Pets

  • jellyfish
  • glue
  • tube of denture adhesive
  • dead poisoned vole
  • bikini
  • ink pen
  • plastic nose from teddy bear
  • magnetic purse clasps
  • baseball
  • glass Christmas ornament
  • hearing aid
  • bed sheet
  • box of pencils
  • avocado pit
  • dental floss
  • fishhook
  • tent door
  • toy squeaker
  • watch
  • 16 steel wool pads
  • sponge
  • tampon
  • 20 cherry pits
  • light bulb
  • barbecue brush
  • Frisbee
  • jumper cables
  • razor blades
  • uncooked rice (1 pound)
  • wallpaper paste
  • squirrel
  • balloon ribbons
  • bird (whole)
  • butter/sand
  • deer antler (partial)
  • extension cord
  • leash/3 sticks of butter
  • pin cushion
  • portion of wool rug
  • TV remote control
  • 10 quarters/one penny/one Canadian coin/three arcade tokens
  • foot-long submarine sandwich
  • fire log
  • wooden toy train
  • pine cone
  • round chew bone (whole)
  • caulk
  • eye glasses
  • money (paper)
  • oil-soaked dirt
  • rosary crucifix
  • 25 to 30 soiled diapers
  • bath bubble mix
  • bathtub cleaner/outdoor plants

The Scoop:

Read more about foreign body ingestion – treatment, keeping your pet safe and more. 
www.petinsurance.com/foreign-body-ingestion

 

What is the craziest thing your dog has ingested?  Leave a note in the comments and share!

 

Thank you to Barbara L. Slavin on flickr for the photo of Annie.