It’s that time of the year once again. The American Kennel Club (AKC) tells us which breeds are the most popular in the U.S., and more interesting, the top breeds within major U.S. cities. The AKC has been tracking pup preferences for 125 years, and the rankings are compiled based on the number of dogs registered each year with the AKC.
And the drumroll, please… The Top Ten Most Popular Dogs in the U.S. are:
1. Labrador Retriever
2. German Shepherd Dog
3. Yorkshire Terrier
5. Golden Retriever
10. Shih Tzu
While the list closely resembles last year’s top ten, with the lovable Labrador Retriever taking the top spot – for the 20th year in a row, there are a few changes. The Beagle swapped spots with Golden Retriever for the 4th spot and the Bulldog, whose popularity has been on the rise, took the 6th spot from the Boxer, who moved to the 7th spot.
Keep reading for more fun facts direct from the AKC, and check out the links below to read more.
- The most popular breeds with the biggest increase in rankings over the past year include the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (from 108th to 93rd), the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (from 101st to 88th) and the Smooth Fox Terrier (from 123rd to 110th).
- The French Bulldog made the largest leap in the past decade, jumping 50 places from 71st to 21st. Other breeds with the biggest increase in rankings over the last decade include the Havanese (from 86th to 31st) and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (from 54th to 23rd).
- Among smaller dogs that rose in the rankings were the Yorkshire Terrier (from 7th to 3rd), the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (from 54th to 23rd) and the Havanese (from 86th to 31st), proving that they are top of the Toys.
- A trend toward larger breeds is seen with the rise of the Great Dane (from 28th to 17th), Mastiff (from 39th to 28th), Newfoundland (from 53rd to 44th), Bernese Mountain Dog (from 58th to 39th) and the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (from 104th to 88th).
- Three new breeds entered AKC’s registry in 2010, and the larger the breed, the higher they appeared in the rankings. The Leonberger, the largest of the new breeds, was ranked 33rd; the Cane Corso ranked 51st; and the smallest of the new breeds, the Icelandic Sheepdog, came in at 82nd.
View the AKC’s 2010 Most Popular Dogs in Major U.S. Cities
…and the AKC’s 2010 Most Popular Dogs in the U.S.
See a listing of all of the breeds and see where they ranked in 2000, 2005, 2009, and where they rank now.
See the AKC’s list of trivia questions based on this years ranking.
Thank you to Woof Report Friend Buster for the photo.