Just like ‘mix-in-a-jar’ gifts you’ve seen for cookies and muffins, this is the same idea — but with one difference, it’s for your dog! Try this easy and inexpensive do-it-yourself Dog-Biscuits-in-a-Jar Gift for the dog people in your life. They’ll appreciate it and their dogs will love you for it!
Items needed for each Dog-Biscuits-in-a-Jar Gift:
- 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar or flip top glass jar (either can be reused to store dog treats)
- 1 dog biscuit cookie cutter, or attached holiday-shaped or other fun cutters
- Festive ribbon and a pre-made bow to place on top of the jar
- 1 gift tag – Download the paw gift tag pictured in the photo at Modern Dog magazine
- Mix ingredients:
– 2-1/2-cups whole-wheat flour
– 3/4-cup nonfat dry milk powder
– 2 cubes beef bouillon cube – opt for the sodium-free or low-sodium type
– 2 tablespoons brown sugar
– Optional: Carob chips (Important: only use carob chips since chocolate is unsafe for dogs)
1. Layer the dry ingredients in the canning jar, place the wrapped bouillon cubes on top of the mix, and close the jar tightly.
2. Write or type the baking instructions listed below on a small gift card. Another option is to download the cute paw gift tag pictured above from Modern Dog magazine, and add the instructions on the backside.
3. Wrap the festive ribbon around the jar and attach the gift card or tag/recipe along with the dog bone cookie cutter, and add a bow to the top of the jar. You’re done and it’s that simple!
Directions to Prepare “Good Dog Cookies”
This top-rated and dog-approved recipe can be found at AllRecipes.com
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease one cookie sheet.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and allow to cool.
- Combine the ingredients in the jar (whole wheat flour, nonfat dry milk powder, brown sugar and carob chips) with one egg (beaten), ½-cup vegetable oil, and beef broth.
- Mix well and knead dough for 1 minute. On a floured surface roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out bones and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow the cookies to cool.
Add your favorite DIY dog gifts in the Comments section below!