An Easy Holiday Treat to Bake for Your Dog
Published: Dec. 19, 2010
Subject: Treat Your Dog
Category: Feasts & Treats
Surprise your dog with a holiday treat -- crunchy Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits. Your dog will adore them, they're quick and simple to make, and you likely have all the ingredients on hand to bake them right now.
The recipe was put to the test in the Woof Report Test Kitchen, and Woof Reporter and taste-tester Larry gives these all-natural biscuits four paws up. In all honesty, Larry will eat anything and everything; however, he did seem to truly enjoy these crunchy biscuits, especially when they were warm from the oven.
The recipe is a top rated and tested one from AllRecipes.com, so read the online comments to see how people modified the recipe before you whip up a batch. For instance, most people simply used two additional cups of wheat flour to replace the spelt flour, and many bakers used flax seed germ instead of flax seeds, and reduced the cooking time down (our biscuits were cooked to perfection at around 25 minutes). Other suggestions including making the cookies in all sizes from dog biscuit-shaped and long thin strips to fit inside of a Kong toy to smaller sized to use for training.
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, or more as needed
- 2 cups spelt flour (or additional 2 cups whole wheat flour)
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine wheat flour, spelt flour, oats, and flax seeds in large bowl. Stir in water and peanut butter. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, mixing in more flour as needed until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with small cookie cutters into desired shapes, and place 3/4 inch apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 40 minutes. Turn oven off; leave biscuits in oven until completely cool.
Cook Time: 15 minutes. Ready In: 25-40 minutes. Original Recipe Yield 4 dozen
See the original recipe along with reviews and baking suggestions from others at the link below.
See more recipes in Woof Report's Feasts & Treats tip category.
Woof Reporter Larry is pictured above with his batch of home baked Peanut Butter Biscuits.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites